Fife Lake Township Current Events
- LEGAL NOTICE
- Fife Lake Township Bid Request.
- Fife Lake Township is taking bids for Snow Plowing for the 2014-2015 Winter Season. The combination Township Hall/Fire Barn is required. Specifications may be obtained at the Fife Lake Township Offices or by clicking on the Specifications Sheet here. Bids will be taken until Thursday 4 P.M. on October 23, 2014 at which time they will be announced. Please submit bids to: Snowplow Bids, P.O. Box 87, Fife Lake, MI 49633.
- Fife Lake Township Bid Request.
- Reminder! The State General Election will be held on November 4, 2014.
- Notice Fife Lake Residents. There will be a Public Hearing 7 P.M., October 22, 2014 held at the Fife Lake Township Hall, 134 Morgan ST, Fife Lake, MI 49633 Regarding a Medical Marijuana Zoning Ordinance. Questions and concerns call 231879 3963. Or mail responses to P.O. Box 87, Fife Lake, MI 49633.
- The new Summer Newsletter is here! Click here to get information about the budget, police, roads, milfoil, Planning/Zoning, and The Pulse: Notes from Fife Lake EMS.
- Grand Traverse County needs your help keeping our roadsides clean!
- Groups enroll for a two-year membership and perform three trash pickups per year along a two-mile section of county road.
- An annual safety meeting among volunteers is required.
- The Road Commission provides two recognition signs, trash bags, vests and trash pickup when your route is complete.
- Best of all…there is no charge for groups to participate in this program! Visit the Grand Traverse County Road Commission website for more information or to view routes open in your township, http://www.gtcrc.org/General/Adopt-A-Road.htm.
- Public Notice:
Please take future notice that Fife Lake will provide auxiliary aids or services to individual(s) with disabilities. Persons needing such services should contact the offices of the township clerk by writing or calling the clerk, not less than five (5) days prior to the hearing.
Fife Lake Township Hall
124 Morgan Street
Fife Lake, Michigan 49633
Fife Lake Township shall update news and events as needed to help keep the public informed of the activities within the township during each month. Check here for the latest news and events. If you care to place information about a public activity in this space on our web site, feel free to contact Supervisor Forwerck at 231 631-1750 or Clerk Houts at 231 879-3963 to have your activity date/dates announced.
The township incorporates the waters of Fife Lake, on the south and west side of the village of Fife Lake. The township lies in the southeast corner of Grand Traverse County with Grand Traverse County being in the Northwest corner of the lower peninsula of Michigan. The waters of Fife Lake run over the county line with only a small portion of it on the east end of the lake being in Kalkaska County. In fact, the SE corner of Fife Lake Township is the SE corner of Grand Traverse County and lies adjacent to the adjoining counties of Kalkaska to the east, Missaukee to the southeast and Wexford to the south.
The area of Fife Lake Township encompasses 36 square miles of which 34.4 sq. miles is land and 1.6 sq. miles is water. The body of water known as Fife Lake is approximately one and a half miles in diameter. It is a beautiful body of water containing two islands, one with a home and the other a private campsite. Pickerel, bass, walleye and other fish are found in great numbers within the lake.
Within the township are found the Village of Fife Lake which was incorporated in 1889 near the intersection of Highway 131 and M-186; an unincorporated community known as Walton Junction so named after the junction of two railroad lines in that area near the intersection of M-113 and Highway 131. Camp Pugsley, a state correctional facility lies in the southwest corner of the township along Walton Road. Also within the township are several large tracts of state forest land providing the area with many recreational opportunities in all four seasons from skiing & ice fishing to swimming and hiking. The local economy is dependent mostly on recreational activities. The area would be considered rural Michigan with a 2000 census population of 1,547 residents within the township.
There are limited manufacturing facilities in the industrial park area just northwest of the Village of Fife Lake. Within the industrial park area is Hayes Manufacturing, Inc. and Cintas Corp. providing additional employment opportunities.
The township owns and operates two cemeteries. Fife Lake cemetery is located within the boundaries of the Village of Fife Lake, but is owned and operated by the township. The second cemetery is near Walton on Elliott Road. You may find specific information on the cemeteries by clicking on the cemetery link.
Emergency services within the township are fire, ambulance and police. All three services respond via 911 emergency phone contacts. See their respective links for further information.
Forest Area Community School District, a consolidated district encompassing 120 sq. miles of land area within six different townships across two counties has an upper elementary school building with grades 3-4-5 located within the township of Fife Lake.
As part of the township and village you can find a variety of stores, shops, restaurants, churches, banking facilities and a local grocery store meeting the needs of local residents and visitors.
Fife Lake Township has paid and unpaid committee assignments that residents and interested citizens can make application for service as a member by notifying the Supervisor and/or the Clerk indicating your interest to serve as a committee member. An explanation of the type of work and schedule of meetings will be explained upon receipt of your call.
|Paid Service work||Volunteer|
|Elections worker||Civic Center South|
|Planning Commission Member||Cemetery Planning|
|Zoning Board of Appeals|
|Board of Review Member|